ARISE Sangha is seeking a part-time coordinator to assist with internal planning, liaise with other organizations in the wider Plum Village Sangha, and manage our online communications. The ARISE coordinator will be responsible for organizing creative projects and actions to engage the worldwide Plum Village Community in the work of healing the wounds of racial injustice and social inequity, as well as writing and managing online content to promote greater visibility and collaboration with ARISE.
This is a paid position for 5-10 hours per week, with a compensation rate of $25 per hour. It will begin as a 6-12 month position in with possibility of extension.
To apply, please send a resume and short cover letter to email@example.com before January 31, 2018. This posting will be up until the position is filled.
ARISE (Awakening through Race, Intersectionality, and Social Equity) Sangha is an international community of lay practitioners and monastics in the Plum Village tradition of Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh. ARISE Sangha is dedicated to looking deeply at racial and social inequity, to heal the wounds within ourselves and within the mahasangha, and to transform this suffering into compassion, understanding, and love in action.
ARISE Coordinator: Qualifications and Responsibilities
We are seeking a person with strong writing and communications skills, who is well-versed in community and event organizing as well as social media, email, and website management. The ARISE Coordinator will have an understanding of, and lived-experiences in, racial justice and intersectionality and have direct and current experience working in this field. They will ideally be deeply engaged in the practice of mindfulness and Engaged Buddhism and familiar with the Plum Village Community and tradition. It is also strongly preferred that this person has completed racial equity trainings through a well-established racial justice organization.
The ARISE Coordinator will work closely with the core members of ARISE Sangha, report directly to one or more designated people from the ARISE core group, and participate in ARISE’s bi-weekly calls. The Coordinator will be primarily responsible for the following:
Special Projects and Community Outreach
- As needed, assist the ARISE core group in creating and implementing a multi-year strategic plan
- Participate in coming up with creative projects and actions to engage the worldwide Plum Village Community in the work of healing the wounds of racial injustice and social inequity
- Organize and promote ARISE events with monastics and lay friends, including webinars, trainings, collective actions, and in-person gatherings
- Support and lift up the work of local sanghas related to race, intersectionality, and social equity (provide resources, promote their events through ARISE channels, publish articles about them on the ARISE website and newsletter, etc.)
- Do outreach and connect people of color and others interested in racial justice and social equity to the ARISE Sangha network
- Work with the Mindfulness Bell magazine, Parallax Press, Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation, and other organizations to promote greater visibility and collaboration with ARISE Sangha
- Assist with fundraising to support the work of ARISE
- Social Media:
- Maintain a social media content calendar and manage ARISE’s regular presence on Facebook and Twitter (sharing articles, photos, videos, and other content relevant to our mission)
- Facilitate ways to make ARISE events and resources available to people through social media, including recording and posting webinar videos and livestreaming events
- Monitor the ARISE email inbox and respond to messages in a timely manner
- Maintain and grow the contact list for ARISE
- Use MailChimp to generate international newsletters with content related to ARISE’s mission and work
- Within ARISE:
- Write and send bi-weekly agendas and conference call invitations to ARISE core group members
- Keep notes/minutes of ARISE meetings and send these out after each call
Content Creation and Website Maintenance
- Generate, edit, and proofread fresh content for the ARISE website (see this example of the Wake Up website www.wkup.org)
- Solicit, review, and collaborate with writers to revise submissions for the ARISE website
- Create and maintain an ARISE Sangha directory for the website
Please note: This job description is not exhaustive and is provided to assist the postholder to know what their duties would be. It may be amended from time to time, without change to the levels of responsibility appropriate to the grade of the post and in discussion with the postholder.
More About ARISE
Our Vision: We aspire to engage the worldwide Plum Village Community in the work of healing the wounds of racial injustice and social inequity, beginning with looking deeply within ourselves. We seek a global, manyfold community that is committed to, and consciously engaged in, the work of transformation and healing of racial injustice and social inequity. In so doing, we aspire to nourish and protect Beloved Community in our manyfold community and beyond.
- Co-create a network within our sangha communities for practitioners who are interested in racial justice and social equity issues
- Encourage and participate in the sharing of resources and information on articles, teachings, and practices on racial justice and social equity
- Co-create a sacred, courageous space for discussion and exchange on mindfulness, engaged Buddhism, and racial justice and social equity issues
- Encourage diversity and inclusion in leadership within the mahasangha and Order of Interbeing (OI) leadership
- Serve as a resource for sanghas and practice communities in the Plum Village tradition and beyond, sharing ideas for and facilitating ARISE presentations at retreats, regular sangha gatherings, and other events